Sweet potatoes are a highly underrated vegetable. They are rich in beta carotene, fibrous, and naturally sweet. Whether baked, boiled, roasted, or fried, they make an incredibly versatile side dish with any meal!
Many holiday favorites contain sweet potatoes, including sweet potato pie, sweet potato marshmallow casserole, and candied sweet potatoes; however, we aren’t huge fans of amping up the sweet factor in those already sweet-tasting sweet potatoes. Instead, we contrast that sweetness with some serious heat!
These sweet potatoes are roasted and slightly caramelized in warm toasted spices. In just 40 minutes, you will have a delectable side dish that pairs well with almost any main course!
So, let’s dig in!
Table of Contents
- Chipotle Chiles
- Ground Smoked Paprika
- Ground Cinnamon
How to Store Whole Dried Chiles
The shelf-life of dried chiles is three to six months. When storing dried chiles, store them in airtight containers in a cool dark place. Alternatively, you may keep them in airtight containers in the freezer. This step will ensure that the chiles stay fresh for the maximum time.
Toast and Grind the Chiles
Before use, toast the dried chiles in a dry sauté pan at medium heat to enhance those flavors by releasing their natural oils. When they appear intensely aromatic, they are ready for use. The toasting process should only take 1 minute. Be careful not to burn them as they will develop a bitter taste.
Once they are toasted, add them to a spice grinder and grind them into a powder.
Cut the Potatoes into Cubes
We recommend that you cube your sweet potatoes, but what does this mean, you ask? Follow these four easy steps:
- Peel the skin from each sweet potato
- Cut the potato in half lengthwise.
- Cut each potato half again lengthwise.
- Then, slice it three times to make equal-sized cubes.
Still unsure how to achieve this? Check out this video.
Don’t Crowd the Potatoes on the Baking Sheet
When arranging the seasoned potatoes on the baking sheet, be careful not to overcrowd them. Ensure that each sliced potato has adequate contact with the baking sheet to allow it to become crispy and golden brown.
Flip Them Half Way Through the Process
The potatoes will undergo two baking sessions. Halfway through the baking process, flip the potatoes over to ensure both sides become crispy and golden brown. Some potatoes will become golden brown after the first bake. Others will have to be flipped to ensure they, too, become golden brown.
Main Course Accompaniments
Storing your Roasted Spicy Sweet Potatoes
Store leftover sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator and consume them for five days.
Love Your Leftovers: What to Do with Extra Sweet Potatoes?
- Toss them into an ordinary salad or this Kale Caesar Salad.
- Serve them alongside your morning omelet.
- Serve them with scrambled eggs and sliced avocado.
- Serve it on this delicious Roasted Veggie Crudité Platter.
- 3 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder one dried chipotle chile, toasted and ground
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ground pepper
1. Peel and Cut the Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius).
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes. Set aside.
2. Toast the Grind Chipotle Chile
- Cut chipotle chiles in half and remove seeds. Remove what you can with a paring knife.
- Place a sauté pan on the stovetop at medium heat. Add dried chipotle chile to the pan and toast it for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add toasted chipotle chile to a spice or coffee grinder and grind it into powder.
3. Toss Sweet Potatoes in Spices
- Combine diced sweet potatoes, olive oil, maple syrup, ground chipotle chile powder, ground cinnamon, smoked paprika, salt, and ground pepper.
- Toss well.
4. Bake the Potatoes until Crispy
- Pour sweet potatoes onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the sweet potatoes for 20 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven and flip them over.
- Bake them for an additional 20 minutes until crispy on the outside and fork-tender on the inside.
- Serve and enjoy.