Just finished devouring our lamb tacos and left with loads of green cabbage among other morsels? Toss together our cilantro and orange pickled cabbage and shallots to rid your fridge of those excess ingredients.
Our “purge your fridge” recipe series features recipes that are purposefully simple, only adding ingredients you would have handy in your fridge or pantry.
Regardless of whether you just finished gobbling down our lamb tacos, this pickled cabbage recipe makes for a great addition of crunch and acidity to any dish.
Essential Ingredients and Ratios for a Pickling Liquid
To create a pickling liquid, boil the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup acid (typically white vinegar)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
The amount of pickling liquid will depend on the number of vegetables or fruits that are pickled. The rule of thumb is to ensure that your vegetables or fruits can be fully submerged in the liquid.
Noteworthy Additions to Pickling Liquid
You may add a variety of spices or herbs to a brine. When you add spices to your brine, ensure they are whole spices and not ground spices.
- Coriander seeds
- Mustard seeds
- Whole cloves
- Whole nutmeg
- Dill seeds
- Fennel Seeds
- Anise seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Pink peppercorns
- Black peppercorns
- Lime Juice
- Lemon Juice
How to Eat Pickled Cabbage and Shallots
Below is a list of ways to enhance a dish with pickled vegetables:
- Alongside thinly sliced beef
- On top of a filet of whitefish
- Inside a fish or chicken taco
- Dressing a burger
- Dressing a sandwich
- Tossed in a salad
- Inside a rice bowl
Tips for Safely Storing Your Quick Pickle
Store vegetables and fruits in pickling liquid in a sealed container or jar and refrigerate. Consume after 30 minutes (for a quick pickle) or up to 4 weeks (for a standard pickle).
Cilantro and Orange Pickled Cabbage and Shallots
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 orange squeezed
- 2 1/2 tbsps coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp brown mustard seeds
- 3 inches ginger peeled and grated (optional)
- 2 tsps sugar
- 4 tsps salt
- 3/4 head green cabbage
- 1/2 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/2 shallot sliced
- 2 tbsps green onions chopped
1. Thinly Slice Vegetables or Fruits
- Slice green cabbage, shallots, and green onions and roughly chop cilantro. Peel and grate the ginger. Set aside.
- Place into a clean jar that has a lid.
2. Boil Pickling Liquid
- Combine water, apple cider vinegar, orange (squeezed), brown mustard seeds, coriander seeds, peeled and grated ginger, salt, and sugar into a saucepan on the stovetop at high heat.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
3. Add Pickling Liquid to the Jar
- Pour pickling liquid into the jar of cabbage and shallots.
- Allow cabbage and shallots to sit in the brine for 30 minutes uncovered. We have suggested using a jar with a lid to seal the pickled vegetables in the pickling liquid after it has cooled to refrigerate for future use.
- Serve and enjoy.